Top 10 Finalists for the 2020 Virtual Spring Leadership Conference can be viewed here: https://hosacanada.org/home/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/2020-vSLC-Top-10.pdf
Top 3 Finalists are automatically registered to compete in the 2020 Virtual International Leadership Conference. Event details available at http://ilc.hosa.org/
If you are unable to attend, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org so we can give the opportunity to the runners up.
Each year HOSA Canada organizes Canada’s largest health science competition, featuring over thirty competitive events. Some events are focused on developing profession-specific technical skills while others on important soft skills like teamwork, leadership and communication. Over 6,000 students attended SLC 2019.
The conference will be held from April 27 – 28, 2020.
The conference will take place at the Beanfield Centre at the Exhibition Place.
105 Princes’ Blvd
Toronto, ON M6K 3C3
- Black or Navy Blue Suit
- With a white shirt (the white shirt can be the member’s choice)
- Closed-toe blue or black shoes (hose optional)
- Male members must wear a tie
- Female members may choose to wear knee-length skirt or slacks.
Please familiarize yourself with your event guidelines as certain events do require specific attire, e.g. scrubs.
The Beanfield & Enercare Centre does not allow outside food or drinks. If conference staff reports a student for violating their policy, a penal fine will be charged to the school. Water and coffee will be provided to teachers free of charge.
Click this link for a map of restaurants that can be reached within a 10-15 minute walk of the conference centre.
We are working on offering food options within the conference centre itself. Details TBA
For events that include a written component, please ensure students bring an HB pencil. Business attire is required for the examination.
Chapter advisors and volunteers may sign up as proctors for the written examination. If you are unsure if your event has a written component, please visit our Competitive Events page.
Procedural / Presentation Component
Most events with a procedural and presentation component will be held at the Beanfield Centre. Certain events with a clinical component will be held at George Brown College. Regular shuttle bus service to and from the convention centre will be provided.
Please check individual event guidelines for the materials students are required to bring. We will not provide any such materials.
There will be hands-on and lecture style workshops hosted by medical students, universities, corporations and non-profits at the 2020 Spring Leadership Conference. Some workshops will have limited capacity for which registration and applications may be required.
Workshop sign-up date will be opened at a time TBA.
SLC 2020 – TBA
At SLC 2019, workshops offered included:
- Artificial Intelligence in Medicine
- Beginners’ Approach to Reading Chest X-Rays
- Computer Programming – Introduction to Python
- CT Scan Segmentation and Modelling
- ECG Interpretation
- From Diagnosis To Treatment – A Case Based Approach
- Healthcare Advocacy: How and Why to Get Involved
- (Locally, Nationally, and Internationally)
- Interpreting Medical Laboratory Tests
- Illnesses Affecting Canadians – A Case Based Approach
- IV Injections
- Knot Tying in the OR
- Learn How to Apply a Cast
- Learn How to Suture
- Mindfulness & Meditation
- Patient Imaging Technology
- Pediatric Developmental Milestones
- Research – The Basics & Beyond
- Skills for New Grads – Effective Email Correspondence,
- Resumé and Cover Letter, and Interviewing Techniques
- Taking a Cardiac History & Physical Exam
- Taking a Neurological History & Physical Exam
- Taking a Respiratory History & Physical Exam
- Taking Vital Signs
Students are not required to stay overnight for the conference.
Please contact us at email@example.com ASAP to secure hotel rooms.
Students are required to bring the necessary equipment listed in each event guideline. The event guidelines can be found here. If the student fails to provide the equipment required, it may result in the student being disqualified or marks deducted.
HOSA Canada will provide student ID badges, scantron sheets, and the facilitator equipment. Please ensure members wear their Student ID badge and have Government Photo ID, for security reasons.